Friday, May 25, 2012

To run and not be weary; walk and not faint.

Not my shoes, but similar.














 I have a love-hate relationship with running. I've endured it through high school when I played Field Hockey and Basketball and even ran track my last two years. I ran with friends in college - but that mostly just happened my junior year before I injured my knee and had to stop for much of the rest of my college career.

Then I met Andrew. Little did I know that one day I would marry him. Then run.

The Skini Mini 6k is next Friday, June 1st. I ran this race last year. Andrew got me started mid-march last year and ran with me a lot. I finished in 34:33. Then I stopped running. I picked it up sometime last October and continued on for a few months before stopping again.

Yet I've started again. This time is different. Andrew signed me up (and paid for) my race a mere three weeks ago. Out of the 21 days, I've run about 12-15 (don't know for sure) days. I am running a faster pace than last year at this time. I can run the 5k loop in 29 minutes. Andrew runs with me when he only has 3-6 miles to do otherwise I run by myself. I like to run with others because it pushes me to go past the limit I set for myself and do better. Go farther, push harder.

This is different. All my life I've despised running - especially by myself - because I lack motivation, I'm more likely to walk/stop etc. I've been running by myself....multiple days. Rainy days (like today). Days when Andrew has a rest. Days when he runs 10+ miles. Days when I am not into it. I am running.


I hate running because of the work/energy it takes. I love running because I like the way it makes me feel afterwards. I like that my legs are toning up nicely. I like that I am getting a tan (however slight it is, I still have a shorts tan line!) I like that I can run, eat healthier and feel great.


Recently I attended a bridal shower/get-ready-for-the-wedding party. I was unable to run that day. As I drove to the event I thought to myself  "Today is such a beautiful day. It's too bad I won't be running today."

What? Did I just say that?

And you know what? When I don't run - especially on those gorgeous days - my body misses it. I am actually beginning to enjoy running by myself. I can push or go slow, I rarely stop because I know this race is a short week away. I even have plans to keep running weekly after the race. I am looking forward to doing another race in July with Erin should she come for a visit and then again at the end of August during the Big WILD Life Events.

Who knows? Maybe I will become a mid-life runner. Andrew would surely be pleased!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment