Sunday, December 4, 2011

More Adventures in the Alaskan 'wilderness'

A lot has happened in the past month. I haven't been blogging much because I haven't really been feeling up to it, and I've been unsure if I should continue on - I mean, does anyone even read this?

A couple of weeks ago I left work and went into the ER for a personal issue. The next day I started not feeling well - very nauseous and had severe abdominal pains which worsened when eating. This went on for about four days before I went back to the ER for two IV Drips and a bunch of medicine. The doctors deemed it 'irritable bowel syndrome' which I know it was not - it is just their way of telling me they have no idea what it is. The pain went away after that night so it may have been a combination of the lack of nutrition from not eating for four days and dehydration.

So everything was grand until Friday of that week (Veteran's day) when we got into a three car accident (our fault) and totaled our car. Estimated damage with basic parts (which have to be new rather than used because it is a pretty unpopular car) to the front alone was $3,000.00 not including labor. It is estimated to cost about $8,000.00 to fix the Maxima. So with two weeks of rental cars and a potential loan going through, I was relatively calm and knew that everything would work out and that God would take care of us.

And He has. Our loan went through and we were able to buy a used (new to us) 2002 Subaru Impreza. It's handled pretty well so far in the snow and ice and we are pretty happy with it.
This isn't actually a picture of our car, but one I took off google.


We hosted Thanksgiving at our house for the first time. Hannah and Carlo Bulanan came over as did David Smith, one of the single guys in his squadron. we had lunch at 1 pm and everyone stayed until at least eight playing board games and talking/watching movies.

I stopped working at Barnes & Nobles the Thursday before Thanksgiving and the Tuesday and Wednesday of the week of Thanksgiving I started Orientation at the Sitka Child Development Center. This past week I was placed into room 114 of the Infant wing, working with 6-12 month olds - and I LOVE it! I am filling in for the regular caregiver in this room, as her newly adopted daughter passed away the Saturday after Thanksgiving and she has not yet set a date to come back as of yet. Apparently I've done such a great job and the kids love me so Melissa (the early morning shift) requested that I be put back in the room for this next week instead of doing the flexible of 'floater' position I was hired for.  I've done some helping out in the toddler and pre-school rooms and I'm not very thrilled so I think that if a position in a room opened up I would prefer to be in the older infants like I am now. Maybe even pre-tots, but I haven't been in there yet.

Andrew and I have had a couple of movie dates recently. We went to see the Muppet's - which was a decent movie in my opinion.I didn't grow up watching the Muppet's but I was amused by most of the numbers in it - especially when Sheldon Cooper from the Big Bang Theory showed up in one of the numbers. That probably made the movie for me.

We also went on Friday evening and saw Hugo. I didn't really like it mostly because it was a very slow-moving movie - a slow-moving story. Andrew really enjoyed it though and that's all that matters. I mostly went for him. Besides, he went to the Midnight opening showing of Part 1 of Breaking Dawn, the last book of the Twilight Series. Now that's love.


Last night I had the opportunity to spend some time and fun Fellowship with some awesome ladies from MCHH at The Crow's Nest which is located on the 20th floor of the Captain Cook Hotel in downtown Anchorage.  It is a super fancy restaurant and not something I would go to on just some random day - it is more of an anniversary dinner or to celebrate a new promotion or something big like that. We all had a wonderful time and the view (even in the dark) was spectacular. Andrew and I might go there for our 1 year anniversary dinner.
Lamb Loin I had for dinner.

Myself and Amy showing off our muscles!

All the MCHH Ladies in the Lobby of the Captain Cook Hotel


A couple things I've been thinking about lately is making a 'mini-series' on my blog - sort of like the homemaker blogs that I follow - except these would document neat hole-in-the-wall places we've been such as restaurants with review & maybe some pictures, or maybe a small series on good items to invest in if considering a trip or a move up here - things that will come in handy such as a pair of sturdy hiking boots or a pair of studded snow tires. I guess I want to document our lives in such a way that if someone wanted some honest opinions of things see and do from someone who is currently living here. What do you think?





3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your car situation! I hope that the suburu does well. And you're working with infants! I never would have guessed! I'm glad you're happy, Jacki

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your blog! :)
    (I'm a friend of the Skinners)
    sooo sorry to hear about the car...but your new job sounds AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I read your blog! But obviously I missed this post! Anyways, I love the idea of the various mini-series. Also, don't give up on your blog just because you don't think people read... I get that feeling sometimes, too! But then I have to remember to keep writing for the ones who love it (my Mom and Mom-in-law) and also to keep using it as the awesome creative outlet that it is... the writing and the picture taking! It's great. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete